Sunday, March 15, 2009

# 1 Indian Rollers


According to the "Birds of Northern India" by Richard Grimmett and Tim Inskipp, there are more than 1,000 species of birds in India. In my opinion, one of the most beautiful is the Indian Roller. My first sighting was in Pushkar in Rajasthan.

I was sitting on the lawn of a guest house when the bird streaked across the sky flashing electric blue, bright turquoise, and warm brown plumage. I startled my travel companion with a cry of amazement. I thought it was the most exotic, exciting bird I've ever seen. Our guide, Rennu, told me it was probably the "Bird of God." I've since come to know it as the Indian Roller, aka Blue Throat, aka Bird of Shiva (one of the Indian Gods).

Since then, I've seen this gorgeous, yet common bird many times. They're actually quite easy to spot perched on wires in the open countryside, especially in Northern India. I'm told it's considered auspicious to spot an Indian Roller first thing in the morning. I'm happy to see them at any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment