Sunday, March 22, 2009

# 6 Shirodhara Oil Treatments


After 36 hours traveling by car, shuttle, plane, and foot, I typically arrive in Delhi excited but frazzled and exhausted. Within the first couple of days I have two goals: nourish my body with a chili-packed masala omelet and piping hot chapatis, and calm my nerves with a shirodhara treatment.

Shirodhara (aka sirodhara) is an Ayurvedic treatment that involves a steady stream of hot, warm oil slowly poured onto the third eye, located in the center of the forehead. If you're new to Ayurvedic medicine, simply put, it is a 5,000-year-old system of health care originating in India that recognizes the elements of ether, air, fire, water and earth, which manifest into three specific "doshas" or body types.

Shirodhara is meant to bring psychological and spiritual balance, and heal a plethora of ills, including stress, mental tension, headaches and insomnia. All I know is I feel like a new woman afterwards. A head massage and warm oil equals bliss. I drift in and out of dreamlike state, totally relaxed state.

There are numerous places in India to experience Shirodhara, whether it's a luxury hotel, resort in Kerala, or a local beauty establishment. One of my favorites in Jaipur is Kerala Ayurveda Kendra. In Kerala I like the Isola Di Cocco Ayurvedic Heritage Beach Resort . The way to bliss is just an apointment away.

P.S. The best way to get the oil out of your hair afterwards is to apply shampoo FIRST. Work it through your hair well before wetting it.

Image: Oil and herbs are heated up for shirodhara treatment at The Baagh in Kahna. www.thebaagh.com

1 comment: